Fifth World Centre Pilot Project Event: Kenya
Fifth World Centre Pilot Project Community Development Volunteer Experience
Kenya Girl Guides Association Shanzu Transitional Centre in Mombasa, Kenya
20 October-17 November 2013
This is a one-month volunteer experience where participants will have the opportunity to participate in Kenyan life and culture while undertaking a community development project and being part of the Fifth World Centre pilot project.
- Gain valuable work experience and life skills such as leadership and advocacy
- Experience the unique culture of Africa through its traditions, history and people
- Be part of the Fifth World Centre pilot project
- Bring change to the Shanzu Transitional Centre, to the disabled girls educated there and in the community by extension, through economic empowerment, marketing and business training
Who can apply?
6 participants within the profile below will be selected for this pilot activity:
- Young women between 18 and 30 years old belonging to WAGGGS Member Organizations
- Have some volunteering experience
- Willing to work with and empower disabled young women and children
- Have some experience and skills in entrepreneurship/business training, project management (including project proposal) and marketing
- Be passionate about community development issues, economic empowerment and want to raise awareness about them to make a difference in the Shanzu Centre, in the local community, as well as their own community, country and wider world
- Willing to bring project of innovation and to contribute to the economic empowerment of the hosting centre, the girls and young women beneficiaries
- Have an understanding of and be able to communicate well in English
- The volunteer programme runs from Monday 20 October - 17 November 2013. Participants are expected to arrive on Sunday 20 October to Nairobi and will be provided with transportation to Mombasa International Airport on Wednesday 31 July 2013
- The cost of the volunteer experience is $1450 USD per person. This includes all meals, accommodation, and programme. Please note that this does not include flights and travel to and from Mombasa from your country as well as the insurance and visa costs.
To apply, download the application form (see top right hand side of this page), complete and return by email by 31 July 2013.