Wednesday -leading others
Patrols were asked to create a building out from using various materials. It was later revealed that in each patrol there were assigned members to sabotage the construction. These lead to further discussions and we observed how the patrols work.
The next activity of the day was defining what a group and a team involve and knowing the characteristics of an effective team. It was really challenging because we all have different perspectives. We learned that a leader needs to step up to consolidate ideas and apply diplomacy.
During the afternoon there was a session on how teams function and we learnt that a team needs to be a living team.
In the conflict transformation session everyone discovered that conflicts are not always negative, but they can also help to improve our ideas. Conflicts are important in development and growth which is why we have to be able to transform them into something positive.
The whole day was full of ups and downs. However we were able to face the challenges and bring them into successes.
The day ended with a surprise, we had the honor of having Mary Mc Phail, the Chief Executive of WAGGGS joining us for the rest of the expedition.
Michelle (Philippines), Daejong (South Korea), Maria (Finland), Kathrine (Norway), Isa (Ecuador), Christine (Denmark), Agatha (Sierra Leone), Loise (Swaziland), Josiane (Ivory Coast), Paola (Honduras)
- The definition of a team is a group but with a leader, a purpose, goals, common values and beliefs.
- The 8 R`s is a working tool to find out if a team is functioning efficiently. The 8 R’s stands for: Right direction, Room (framing), Resources, Responsibilities, Roles, Rules, Routines and Relations.
- Conditions for a living team are things we have to work with in order to implement the 8 R`s. The team conditions are: purpose, result, objectives, identity, values and beliefs and a contract.
- We learned about different types of conflicts, the reactions to conflicts and a toolkit for resolving conflicts.
- Through discussion we got an insight in how WAGGGS is working towards the vision 2020.
- We realized that in 2020 we will all be old
We cannot decide what our future will be, but we can decide what our attitude will be for the things to happen.